We are currently seeking applications for volunteers to serve as Section Coordinators (SCs) for the 2023-24 term. Mortar Board alumni provide valuable time and energy as volunteers of the Society, and the Section Coordinator role is one of our most prominent and important roles, serving in a National Leader capacity as part of the society. Applications are due May 1.
About the Position
Mortar Board chapters are divided into six regions, each with about 20-25 active chapters. Teams of 2-4 Section Coordinators work collaboratively with the National Office to support and inspire chapters in their region.
SCs work with chapters, either individually, as a region, or in collaboration with other regions, to provide guidance, support, and assistance for campus-based recruitment and outreach initiatives to generate more interest in Mortar Board and yield higher membership. If schedules and interests allow, SCs visit campuses to help improve and strengthen the chapters.
SCs work as a team and with other regional teams to divide trainings and facilitations across chapters in areas such as: president training, recruitment and selection, onboarding new officers, and new advisor training.
Time Commitment and Meeting Expectations
General Time Commitment: 5-7 hours per month, plus national events and trainings outlined below
- 1 hour of national meetings per month
- 4-6 hours per month connecting with chapters via email, phone, or Zoom
Additional opportunities will exist for further engagement, if interested.
- Engage with the entire SC team across all regions once every other month to discuss challenges and successes within regions;
- Meet once every other month as a regional team with members of the National Office to discuss the CARE of chapters (Chapter Activity Recruitment/Retention & Engagement);
- Participate in and/or facilitate quarterly “all region” meetings with chapter officers and advisors;
- Meet as needed with chapters, executive board members, advisors, and your Regional Team.
Engage with National Mortar Board events and initiatives including:
- The National Conference, with some financial support if needed by the National Council (Held in-person during even years);
- Chapter Operations Sessions (Fall, held virtually);
- The virtual Special National Conference (January);
- Mortar Board Week Events (the week surrounding February 15);
- Collegiate Awards Ceremony (Early Summer, held virtually).
Hold the following dates for Section Coordinator training and professional development:
- Collegiate Awards Ceremony – June 4
- SC online training – TBD (June/July)
- National Conference – July 14-16
- In-Person SC Training – Columbus, OH – TBD (early Fall)
Benefits of Serving as a Section Coordinator
- Opportunity to give back to the honor society in a national leadership role;
- Mentorship of collegiate members and other Mortar Board volunteers;
- Share your wisdom and ideas with chapters across the country;
- Continued personal and professional development;
- Connections to many other enthusiastic and engaged members of a prestigious national organization;
- Complimentary Mortar Board Alumni Association (MBAA) membership throughout course of service;
- Ongoing public recognition of contributions to both the Society and other endeavors through various communication methods including the website, written publications, press/media releases, etc.;
- Opportunity to attend bi-annual Mortar Board National Conference with specific opportunity for SCs to gather early for conversation, professional development, and social activity;
- Off years of MBNC, opportunity to gather (ideally in person) for an SC retreat and/or volunteer summit
- Continue encouraging leadership by helping new leaders who will follow in your footsteps!
Please contact Trish Maxwell (email@example.com) if you have any questions about the position or application.
Nominated a Leader to be an SC
Section Coordinators provide support, mentorship, and connection for our chapter advisors and collegiate leaders. This is an exciting role that gets to coordinate and connect with leaders from across the service that are advancing the Mortar Board ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. If you know someone who would excel in that role, please nominate candidates by April 15, 2023.
Apply to be a Section Coordinator
Section Coordinators work with chapters and other national leaders to promote the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. They provide insight, guidance, and ideas for chapter recruitment, selection, programming, leadership, and operations. If you’re interested in being more involved with Mortar Board and sharing your wisdom with chapters, submit your application to be a Section Coordinator. Applications are due May 1, 2023.