Mortar Board Week
Mortar Board Week is a great time to hold events and celebrate the founding of Mortar Board. Chapters celebrate in different ways around the country and will find that Mortar Board provides excellent resources for visibility and meaningful programs.
Mortar Board Week commemorates the founding of Mortar Board with a weeklong celebration, annually held the week of the February 15 founding. 2024 marks the 106th anniversary of Mortar Board and was celebrated from February 11-17, 2024.
- Mental Health Monday: Start Mortar Board Week with mindfulness! At any time you choose, view and share our recorded Yoga Session led by Past National President Gail Harrison Corvette.
- Chapter Operations Session: Initiation Tips and Tricks: Mortar Board Initiation is rooted in tradition and made memorable by each campus. Learn ways to elevate your chapter’s initiation for your new members while making the event manageable for you and other officers. Share what your chapter does and learn from the best practices of others.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEI&B) Open Meeting: Calling all DEI&B Chairs and interested parties! Join us to discuss what your chapter is doing to promote DEI&B initiatives.
- MBAA Book Club: Atomic Habits by James Clear: The MBAA invites you to discuss Atomic Habits by James Clear (Denison University, 2007). James offers great ways to build good habits and we will discuss what works and what we’ve learned.
- Affinity Groups: Launch and Learn: Mortar Board is launching its newest member benefit – Affinity Groups. Help us plan, develop, resource, and roll out these groups.
- Love Your Career: Career Connection Panel: Do you want to LOVE your career?! Join our panel of Mortar Boards at various stages of their careers to discuss career paths after college and get advice on your next steps. This is the first of a new series, Mortar Board Career Connections.
- Volunteer and Donor Appreciation Event: Thank you for your dedication to Mortar Board! We want to celebrate you and your contributions to our society on Mortar Board’s 106th birthday. Join old friends and new friends in conversation while hearing updates and exciting news from National President Cassandra Lucas and National Foundation President Barbara Arnold.
- Advisor Social with National Leaders: Chapter advisors are invited to join National President Cassandra Lucas, National Vice President Patience Whitworth, and Executive Director Kirsten Fox for a social event. Ask questions, share chapter stories, and let us get to know you!
Check out the resources below to use in planning your chapter’s Mortar Board Week:
- Embrace our DEI&B Tool Kit and find ways to incorporate Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEI&B) into your Mortar Board Week events and activities
- Find helpful tools for creating your communications including logos, guides, promotional brochures and more at our Resources page
- Check out the events page to see upcoming events and get ideas for your own!
How to celebrate Mortar Board Week
- Announce that nominations are being accepted for Mortar Board membership
- Host an event that increases campus awareness of diversity or equity
- Hold a meaningful service project that includes a large part of campus
- Honor faculty and staff mentors and student organization advisors
- Recognize academic advisors and Mortar Board advisors
- Promote women’s athletic programs
- Hold a campuswide birthday party for Mortar Board
- Connect with other collegiate chapters or local alums in your section or area for a fun social hour either in person or virtually
- Share, comment and tag people in Mortar Board Week posts on social media