Frequently Asked Questions
Does each chapter have to send someone? Who should it be?
Each chapter is required to have at least one member attend the conference as the official delegate representing their chapter. In 2021, up to four more officers and one advisor may register, and their registration fees are included under the chapter’s Conference Fee. The MBNC offers unique learning opportunities for all members, so it’s highly recommended that many officers and members attend. Additional members and advisors from each chapter are also encouraged to register for a registration fee of $25 each.
How many members may register for the chapter's conference fee?
Your chapter’s $350 conference fee covers the attendance of five members of your chapter’s executive team plus one advisor.
Who makes up the executive team?
The official delegate, four other officers and one advisor make up your chapter’s conference executive team. The highest-ranking officer attending will automatically be designated as the official delegate. If you are not a part of your chapter’s executive team or don’t know yet, you may register for a fee of $25.
What is the registration deadline? What happens if I miss the deadline to register?
The deadline for official delegates to register is June 1. But, we still accept registrations for executive members up till August 1. Additional collegiate members and advisors do not pay a late fee but are encouraged to register before August 1.
Do I have to pay to attend the conference?
Each collegiate chapter pays a $350 conference fee. This covers the attendance of the chapter’s executive team.
How can I complete my registration payment?
If your chapter already has new officers elected, a chapter officer or advisor may register the team of five and one advisor now using a single registration form linked here. If you have not selected new officers yet, you may still start the registration form and save it to continue later! Additional members beyond the five covered by the $350 conference fee may also be registered at $25 per member.
Why should I attend the virtual conference?
Holding the Mortar Board National Leadership Conference virtually allows us to bring excitement to more members of your chapter. You will have opportunities to connect with members from all over the country, learn valuable leadership skills for your future and celebrate Mortar Board from the comfort and safety of your home. Below is a non-exhaustive list of some of the things that you will do during the conference.
- Network with hundreds of collegiate and alumni members from around the country
- Attend educational sessions to introduce you to Mortar Board’s special chapter operational expectations
- Meet national leaders, such as your section coordinator—the volunteer who manages the chapters near yours
- Learn leadership tricks and tips to help you run your chapter, improve your own skills and boost your credentials
- Cast a vote for student representative at-large on the National Council
- Take notes to brief your chapter
- Be introduced to your Chapter Action Plan and start planning the upcoming year of leadership
How should I prepare?
- Familiarize yourself with Mortar Board as a national organization by browsing the website
- Read Mortar Board’s new member handbook
- Reach out to former officers and your chapter advisors to learn about any issues, trends or challenges facing your chapter
- Talk to members who have been to conference in previous years
- Decide which break-out sessions you should attend to best prepare your chapter for success
- Read the Election Guide that describes the candidates running for student representative on the National Council
- Be sure to review the conference responsibilities, obligations and permissions
How do I contact the Mortar Board National Office?
All general questions regarding the conference may be sent to Brooke Stiles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I can't find my answer here...
Email us at email@example.com or call 614-488-4094.